Tuesday, November 24, 2009

Retro Renovating


I think I may have mentioned before that we live in my grandparents' old house. Both of my grandparents have died and so it has come to us. The housing market being what it is, it's a tremendous boon since the house is closer to the city than we could afford to buy if we had just been looking on the market like everyone else. So, I am grateful indeed for that. And, of course, it is home to a lot of happy memories. But...
It. is. so. small.
Now, I am not looking to live in a mansion. And we don't have any children as yet so it is just the two of us. But it is a five room house. Five rooms. Count 'em. Five. And small rooms at that. We've lived in bigger apartments. Living room, kitchen, bathroom, bedroom, study. The study could be a second bedroom if it had to be. In fact it was when my father was still living at home with my grandparents (how they all managed here in this tiny space I don't know!). All I would really like is another two rooms - that's it. No grand extensions. Just a dedicated study/den and a second bedroom. Of late, the issue has really started to bother me. I spend a lot of my time working from home and the walls started to close in a little. "I hate it!", "Why can't we move?" etc., etc. My DH pointed out all the sensible arguments as to why there was 1. No reason to hate the house and 2. Not much would be achieved by the horror that is moving. But now I am starting to come around to a calmer way of thinking about it and this is how I've managed it (not solely from sensible arguments, I have to admit...) - I have a plan. Indeed, I have a cunning plan (sorry - irresistable urge to steal a line from Blackadder's Baldrick there). I have decided to work with the house instead of fighting against it. It was built in 1948 and the kitchen especially speaks of this. So, let's go retro. Let's celebrate the house's uniqueness. This is not to say, though, that I want to turn it into a museum. Let's improve it, update what needs to be updated (paint, fittings etc.) but let's do it with a retro eye. Because you know how I love thrifting and retro stuff in general, so why not go with that theme? First stop, then - the kitchen, which I will repaint white and pick out details (cupboard doors etc.) in red, to match the original red counter tops and my grandfather's painfully constructed red-laminex-topped kitchen table. I'll keep you posted on the great Feronia renovation of Summer '09. And that extension will come in due time...

PS Amazing how many people go with red and white when they retro-ise their kitchens! See above, courtesy of Google Images.

6 comments:

Pina said...

I am looking forward to see the photos. My house has 110 square meters, but when I am alone in it, it feels a huge one. I like smaller houses, because I don't have lots of cleaning to do. I always wonder, who does the cleaning in those huge houses... or those people become slaves to the house due to its hugeness...

Feronia said...

Certainly small houses have their benefits...half an hour and it's clean. Maybe people with huge houses have cleaners?!

Bodecea said...

I am looking forward to pictures, too!

We have a strange appartment - three rooms and 140 m². You will see it one day, I am sure :-)

Feronia said...

Hopefully we'll visit next year, Bodecea!

Wurst Semmel said...

I thought that was your kitchen! It looks cute. Looking forward to seeing the photos.

And when you've finished.....plenty of renovating to do at my place...!

Feronia said...

All things being equal, WS, my kitchen will actually not look too different to that eventually. And if all things go well...maybe I have a career of interior decoration ahead of me...