Monday, January 25, 2010

Herbage

Hopefully, I can entice the Tansy Fairy to come to stay...



Rosemary and thyme add a lovely crispness to the air in the bathroom.


At the op-shop recently, I discovered The Herb & Spice Book by Sarah Garland. It describes both the history and uses of a lot of different herbs, as well as providing some very nice recipes. Flicking through it, my interest in herbs has been renewed. I have very successfully grown rosemary in our front yard and a little bit of thyme, but everything else has foundered in the baking sun and dry soil. But now, interest re-ignited and faith restored, yesterday I bought tansy, rue, lemon balm, oregano and sage. The first two I will put into the ground because apparently they grow to be quite large but the latter three will go into pots which I will place near to the front door, so as to hopefully be greeted with a lovely aroma as we enter and exit the house. Does anyone have any herb growing tips?

3 comments:

Bodecea said...

Hi Feronia,

I suppose in your dry & hot weather conditions, all herbs from the Mediterranean Sea should grow well. I cannot give you good tipps; some herbs grow here by there own, some don't grow at all and some are growing well one year and bad another... thyme does not work well here (too wet?), but sage does. And oregano!

Bodecea

PS: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nWu6ney5hYQ

Stardust said...

No tips available and more like I'll be seeking yours instead. I'll be starting some serious herb raising this year I hope. Do show your produce later. =)

Feronia said...

Yes, Bodecea...parsely, sage, rosemary and thyme! I think Mediterranean herbs are supposed to grow well here.

I'll keep you posted on their progress, Stardust. All of the new plants went in this morning so we'll see...