Monday, November 7, 2011

Going Loomy

Nice, nice, nice stitch with my Icelandic wool...

The littlest loom at work (and I found Isela Phelps' The Beginner's Guide to Knitting on a Loom in the library today)

Many months ago, I acquired a set of knitting looms from the kind and generous Meg at Land of Meg (http://landofmeg.blogspot.com/) I have to admit that they then sat in the study for rather a while because I just wasn't sure what to do with them and so I kind of moved on to other things. For no reason at all I picked them up the other day and thought "I'm going to learn how to use these things!" So, as we all do when we want information these days, I went to You Tube (!!) and found a how-to video. And...I love it! It is so easy and you get such nice results so quickly. I think I may even soon be able to make socks, despite months of puzzling over circular needles and wondering how on earth I would ever perform such a feat (I nearly wrote feet!) with conventional knitting needles. If you would like to try knitting but haven't had much luck using needles, I urge you...get a loom!

6 comments:

Pina said...

Well done, Emily, I can't wait to see more woolen products made with your loom. :)

This loom is amazing, I didn't know something like this existed at all. I watched the tutorial but it seems it takes more time than knitting with the needles. Though, the result is much nicer with the loom if you are a beginner.

Bodecea said...

When I was a child I had something similar called "Strickliesel":
http://www.hirnsalz.de/Bilder/p4-strickliesel-pilz-holz-plastik.jpg

But I never learned how to use it and all you could make with that were some kind of ropes, so I was not very fascinated by it ;-)

Bodecea

Nichole said...

I have not been able to master needles at all at all, so maybe a loom is for me!

Feronia said...

@ Pina -

Thanks Pina :) It's actually far quicker than needles, I've found, and the stitches seem to be much neater and uniform too.

@ Bodecea -

Yes, the Strickliesel seems to be what we call a 'Knitting Nancy'. I think it's a much smaller version of the loom, primarily designed for kids to make little bits and pieces.

@ Nichole -

Definitely - if you find needles a hassle, I say go the loom!

B.T.Bear (esq.) said...

Mummy sor wun ov theez in a shop reesently an neerly bort it. But she is tryin to croshay a scarf at the moment...

Feronia said...

Your Mummy is very clever being able to crochet - I can't do it no matter how many times I try!!