Tuesday, September 22, 2009

Fancy Nancy


My good blogging friend Meg over at Land of Meg (http://landofmeg.blogspot.com/) has sent me a present! How very, very kind :) And it's a knitting nancy. Have you used one? Apparently it's also referred to as a bizzy lizzy, French knitting or, in German, a Nahliesle. My favourite moniker is Meg's, however - a fancy nancy. Apparently they have been used as far back as the Middle Ages and can make all sorts of things. What I am really hanging out to make, though, is socks. I have wanted to make socks forever but the thought of knitting them the regular way with four needles on the go at once has made me break out in a cold sweat every time I've considered it. But Nancy, you may be my ticket to sock heaven...

5 comments:

Meg said...

Can't wait to see what you make. xx

Feronia said...

I am having visions of Fair Isle socks in every colour... thanks again, Meg x

Pina said...

How does it work?

distelfliege said...

Wow, I've never seen such a thing, hope you have lots of fun and make great socks!

Feronia said...

I think I will discover how it works, Pina, through a bit of trial and error! I'm not quite sure how to use it just yet. There are some good instructions online if you google 'Knitting Nancy', though, and Meg kindly sent me some instructions with it too...

Thanks for stopping by Distelfliege. I hope my socks turn out as gorgeous as the ones you make!