Tuesday, July 30, 2013

Taking the 'meh' out of reading

Image from www.woodstockwardrobe.com

I don't know whether it's the general blahdom of having been sick or that when I was sick, I literally couldn't read (my eyes were blurry), but I just cannot find a book to light my fire right now (and I don't mean literally, fellow Melburnian winter-sufferers). Unfortunately I am not one of those diligent folk who can plough on with a book when it's getting a bit boring. It has to speak to me or forget it. I need colour and movement...!

So it is that I am part way through A Game of Thrones, part way through Bring Up the Bodies and part way through Dead to the World and nothing is doing it for me. I can read a few pages but then...meh. 

Tell me - please - what are you reading and loving right now?

8 comments:

T. said...

Right now, I'm halfway through A Game of Thrones and starting to read Whitechapel Gods. Too early to say whether it's any good, though.

If you want quick paced engaging writing, please look into Lynn Flewellings Luck in the Shadows, and Charles DeLints Greenmantle. :-)

Feronia said...

Thanks Sefarina - I'll check those out :)

Max said...

How to bee idle by tom hodgkinson (non-fiction) got me reading into the night recently x

trishie said...

I'm reading "A Teaspoon Of Earth And Sea" a story about one half of a twin based in Iran. Lovely read, so far.

Feronia said...

Thanks Max and Trishie! I'm getting quite a list here :)

Bodecea said...

Just reading some light and easy SF-stuff I got from a local bookcrosser-board. Last were two books of Kathleen M. O'Neal. If you want catching stuff - maybe His dark materials by Philipp Pulmann?

librarygirl said...

If you've never read the Secret History by Donna Tarrt,now is the time!

Feronia said...

I have His dark materials on my bookshelf, I think...thanks Bodecea.

----

Thanks librarygirl. I've heard that's brilliant.