Wednesday, January 11, 2012

The Girl who finally succumbed to the Bestseller

I am not one for bestsellers and blockbusters. I am probably just being pedantic, but I don't like to be told what I should like. I like to find that out for myself. So it is that I have side-stepped Stieg Larsson's The Girl with the Dragon Tattoo, The Girl who played with Fire and The Girl who kicked the Hornet's Nest. But last Saturday night, SBS (our foreign film channel) screened the 2009 Swedish production of The Girl with the Dragon Tattoo. And. I. loved. it. It was quite long, but I stayed gripped from beginning to end. The plot kept up a great and engaging pace, and I loved the character of Lisbeth Salander (played by Noomi Rapace).

I'm not sure if I want to see the American version of the same film which is currently in cinemas, because I loved what I saw as the 'Scandinavianess' of the film, especially that stark grey-blue natural light which is well displayed in the brief clip below. Perhaps I should see the later version, just to compare and see if there is such a thing as 'Scandinavianess' or whether I just read that into it with from my own biases and understandings of what I expected to see.

Do you think that films (or books) from different countries have different characteristics to them?



My mum, who loved all three books, is bringing me books 2 and 3 today so there is some happy reading ahead. Just as well, since our weather has taken a rather unsummery turn and it is currently raining and struggling to get to 19 degrees!

---------------------------

I'd better get a bit more used to reading bestsellers and the like (rather than just my nichey faves!) because I have decided to take my writing a bit more seriously this year, so I need to know who (and what) is making a success of it! I went to a course at Writers Victoria (http://writersvictoria.org.au/) on Monday and it was brilliant - very, very encouraging. If you are literary-inclined, I would heartily suggest you pay them a visit.

6 comments:

Max said...

I LOVED the books and am always slow to see the movie of books i loved, so i haven't seen either. I've have heard (on helena Halme's blog) that the american version is just as good atmostpherically (is that a word?) as it too was filmed in scandanavia. books 2 and 3 are just as good if not better than 1 x
ps please let me know your address again for 'pay it forwarding' I can't find it amongst my emails) x

Feronia said...

@ Max -

Maybe I will venture off to see the American version, then. I am about to start book 2...

Ok, I'll head over to your blog to find your email address :)

Pina said...

My answer to your question is: yes. :)

Feronia said...

@ Pina -

Ok. So what do you think characterises Slovenian books and film?

librarygirl said...

Haven't read them either!
or seen the films.
I am contrary.

feronia said...

:)