Tuesday, February 7, 2012

Looking up at the stars, and seeing the clouds pass over them in their wild flight

Charles Dickens would have been 200 years old today. His novels are so dense, so intricate, but I am growing to love them. You might remember the BBC's latest adaptation of Little Dorrit. I thoroughly enjoyed it and as much as people often complain about adaptations, I credit it with bringing me back to Dickens after some torturous experiences when I was studying Victorian literature as an undergrad many moons ago.



For some reason, whenever I think of Dickens, I think of knitting. In fact, whenever I think of the Victorians generally, I think of knitting. There are all sorts of lovely Victorian knitting patterns floating around on the Internet so if you are so inclined, I highly recommend this site - http://historicneedlecrafts.blogspot.com.au/ I bought a gorgeous pattern for a cape shawl first designed in Edwardian Scotland from Debby's Etsy shop (http://www.etsy.com/shop/KnittyDebby) a couple of weeks ago.

4 comments:

Pina said...

I just love the statement on Wikipedia that Dickens blamed his wife "for the birth of their 10 children, which caused him financial worries". :)

Feronia said...

Oh my! Yes, how selfish of her!!! His books are wonderful, but I have read some rather off-putting things about him as an individual - and that quote is one of them!

librarygirl said...

oh Little Dorrit! sigh....

Feronia said...

I know :) Matthew Macfadyen as Arthur Clennam...double sigh :))