Tuesday, May 28, 2013

Winter Warmers

Taking my cue from Sefarina's lovely Blog Windleben (http://windleben.blogspot.com.au/), here are a couple of my suggestions for cheering and sustaining you during dreary and bleak weather (two degrees this morning...!)

1. Find something to please the eye - and sit it on the windowsill


After seeing some lovely photos of glass collections online, I have just started to collect coloured glass. I have amber glass in the living room on the windowsill and blue glass in the bedroom. It looks so crisp and pretty with the white winter light coming through it, and makes the bleak weather outside the window a little less dull!


2. Bake - preferably something sweet!

I have recently borrowed Jane Brocket's Vintage Cakes (do you know her blog Yarnstorm? - http://www.yarnstorm.blogs.com/) from our great local library. Happy Days! Easy recipes that really turn out well and, as an added bonus, the house becomes nice and warm from the oven and everything ends up smelling delicious! I highly recommend the Parkin Cake and the Genoa...mmmm...

3. Listen to some good music

Music can change how I feel in a moment. I have recently re-discovered Backworld and their mellow sound is just perfect for the quiet, cool days right now...

6 comments:

Max said...

I love parkin which is a traditional autumn cake in yorkshire where i'm from originally: and i love such seasonal adaptations x

Feronia said...

I've never made Parkin before...or even eaten it! Such a rich, flavoursome cake. I believe Jane Brocket is from 'up North' too - hence the inclusion of Parkin in her book :)

T. said...

Beautiful! I love those colored bottles. And baking can always cheer me up :-)

Feronia said...

Thanks Sefarina :) We're nearly at the end of the Genoa cake, actually...time to get baking again!

trishie said...

Love your little glass collection, looks good sitting by the window catching the light!

Feronia said...

Thanks Trishie :)