Thursday, December 31, 2009

Blue Moon

The blue moon casting its gorgeous spell over southern Australia, 30/12/09, 11.30 p.m.

Wishing you a joyous and fulfilling 2010!

For his last birthday, I gave my DH a telescope. Not an enormous one - we thought we'd just start off small - but one that can be easily set up in the backyard for a little nighttime skywatching. So last night we positioned ourselves out there for the full moon - of which the telescope gave us a brilliant view - and I was quite awed to actually see the craters on the moon's surface. What made it extra special was that it was also a 'blue moon' - an 'extra' full moon that only happens very occassionally (the last one was in 2007).


A blue moon is apparently quite auspicious and so it seemed to me a very appropriate note to finish 2009 on. It's been a funny year (and I don't mean funny ha-ha). I have just done a quick round-up of all my favourite blogs and a lot of people have said that 2009 was not a great year for them. Well, I must count myself among them. A hard year, this one, in which I had to face up to the fact that the professional path on which I had set myself was probably either a) the wrong path or b) right or wrong, not the path that was going to succeed. I'm still working out how to solve that particular problem. But I think I have a few little ideas which I'll tell you a bit more about in January (I hope).


All this, of course, in the time honoured tradition of vicious circles, has caused my stress-o-meter to go through the roof and has brought all sorts of other long-standing issues (anxiety, depression) bubbling to the surface. But this has not necessarily been a bad thing. Now I'm addressing things. Looking them square in the eye and trying to sort them out. Not burying them in a pile of other stuff that simply has to be done first (...before I deal with that stuff).


So, as 2009 draws to a close, I would have to say that I feel pretty positive. It's been a lousy year in a lot of ways but in that lousiness, a lot of thinking has been done and, hopefully, a lot of learning. I've still got a long way to go, but 2010 seems like that year when it might all just start to come together. But don't just take my word for it. That lucky blue moon agrees with me.

I have so enjoyed getting the blog started this year - it really has been a highpoint for me. And it's been great to meet the lovely people that I've met here in cyberspace. Tell me about your year.

6 comments:

Pina said...

Let it come, 2010, a happy year for you and me! :)

Feronia said...

Absolutely! Happy New Year, Pina :)

Stardust said...

I've enjoyed reading you, there's some very vivid description of how I've lead other years. I guess each year has its good and bad for me, but I'm thankful for each one of them.

Glad that you're starting the new year on a positive note, with the blue moon backing you up. You know the song anyway? =) I'll sway with it. =P

Thanks for your compliments. I didn't share photos of my present house, those were from my previous apartment. The post is a tribute to the old place, which I think it deserves. You agree with me it was lovely huh? =)

Happy New Year once again,

Stardust said...

Here! Blue Moon!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=G06izKzRNHA

Feronia said...

You make some good points as always, Stardust - make the most of both good *and* bad. As my Mum says, everything is an experience and should therefore be appreciated.

Yes, your old apartment was lovely but I'm sure your new house is even better!

Thanks for the Rod Stewart clip - great song :)

Meg said...

Happy, happy new year!! xx