Tuesday, December 29, 2009

Nothing succeeds like excess

Well, another Christmas has drawn to a close. I do hope you had a happy one, or, at least, a bearable one. Ours, I would say, came under the latter heading and given past Christmases, I am ok with that. I don't mean to sound like a curmudgeon on this, but I think perhaps the photo above sums up what I want to say. This is just a small portion of the edible stuff we received on Christmas Day. Chocolates, crackers, biscuits, cakes, wine, spirits. Too much, too much. Stuff we would never buy for ourselves and, in fact, may not end up consuming. And while generosity is truly lovely, for me it says something about the nature of Christmas. Excess. More and more, I look for simplicity. Quietness. Kindness. Not huge explosions of emotion - either good or bad - or emotions supplanted by things, as so often seems to be the case at Christmas. I don't want a box of chocolates/a DVD/a book. Let's just treat one another well during the year. But perhaps, as Lady Macbeth once said, I think too brainsickly on things. Perhaps this is just the nature of a modern Christmas. What do you think?

6 comments:

Stardust said...

No no no!! I truly agree with what you said. Kindness demonstrated in giving is good, but an excess of more than needed is wasteful. I think people get carried away sometimes..?

We had our Christmas quiet and simple, mostly reflection. Christmas in Jap is not a holiday, and the festive mood is probably half of what's happening overseas... A little too quiet though.

Anyway, I think the amount you've received says that you're being loved and cared for.

Feronia said...

That's a really good point, Stardust - thanks. I truly need gentle reminders at the moment to look at not only the negative side but also the positive. My feeling was just that as well as *stuff*, there needs to love, goodwill and kindness - which, I am happy to say, did come along with at least *some* of that food!

Bodecea said...

Hi Feronia,

we have given and received only small presents (and nearly no food except of the really excellent cakes from the mum of a friend!), but a bit money from in-laws. This is al right, we do not have so much so be able to buy some stuff we really need or like is a good thing.

I have no strong affection towards Christmas since I was a child, so I miss no true emotions or whatever. No stress is enough :-).

Bodecea

Feronia said...

Sounds like a good plan you have there, Bodecea. I have tried to encourage 'handmade' Christmas these last couple of years in our broader family circle, but it hasn't worked! Maybe next year...

Victoria said...

I agree - every year my mother in law alone gives my husband and I a huge box of chocolates each. I always say, please don't bother for me as I never eat them. I am a bit miserable as instead of just enjoying I see waste. How awful am I!

Feronia said...

But that's exactly how I feel too, 13mimosa. On the one hand gifts are lovely, but then I just look at all this stuff and think 'We're never going to eat it all!' and some of it does end up being thrown out.