Tuesday, February 9, 2010

We're having a heatwave

Hot, hot, hot here at the moment. Or, should I say, mostly humid. February is often the hottest month so I shouldn't be surprised having lived through 36 of them. It's just that, as I've mentioned before, I'm not what you'd call a summer person. Each day of late has been much the same - throw open the windows and doors in the morning in the hope of some air swishing through the house and then close everything up again at about lunchtime as the scales tip in favour of the sun and the house starts to heat up once again. Our house does stay quite cool for at least the first few days of a heatwave it must be said, being made of double brick. It is only when the bricks themselves heat up that things start to get truly sticky. What I've noticed with this sort of weather - and perhaps this is just me - is that you wake up each morning feeling sort of chewed over, for want of a more eloquent phrase. It could be more because of my ongoing back issues but that, with the heat as well, means I am not really sleeping, so morning comes, and I don't really feel that there's been any significant break from the previous day at all. Oh well! On a more positive note, summer (like the extremes of winter, I guess) reminds us of our relative position in the universe. We really are still very much dependent upon the weather, the seasons and nature as a whole. And that's a good thing to keep in mind.

I thought of taking some photos for this blog - clear blue skies, blanched white sunlight - but then I realised that what I really needed to do was to record the sounds of summer - the buzzing mosquitos, chirping parrots, trilling crickets and gathering winds of an approaching storm. And I don't know how to do that. So, I say let the Muppets speak for me instead. We're having a heatwave!

4 comments:

Pina said...

Well, I could easily swap with you,if I could. :)

It is true - winter is soundless. Recently some birds have started to sing but otherwise - there's only noise made by human beings. I can hardly wait for spring, for color, for noises.

Stardust said...

I miss the Muppets!

Sorry to hear about the stubborn symptom in your back. I hope the treatment works soon and the heat goes easy on you...

I'll be having a hard time adjusting to heat while carrying these winter fats. My family tells me that Singapore has been baking in heat these weeks and I'm actually returning in hours!

Feronia said...

If only I could send a little bit of heat your way, Pina! Soundlessness seems to match the white and grey of winter, doesn't it.

You can get some of the Muppet Shows' on DVD, Stardust.

My back is gradually getting there...it just seems to catch up with me a bit at night.

Have a great time in Singapore - one of my favourite places in the world. But yes - hot!

Bodecea said...

AS Pina said - nothing is so quite as a winter day with snow. Not only there is almost no sound by animals and birds - sounds of cars and other human noise is quietened, too.

Some times I like this, but now I am looking forward to hear the birds sing again!

But what I see outside is more snow! At the moment, I would prefer hot days and warm nights... can't you sleep outside in the garden under a mosquito net?

Bodecea