Tuesday, July 12, 2011

Green tour of Europe: Part 1

One thing that I did take a lot of photos of while we were away is plants. So beautiful in their variety and also good practice for the amateur photographer wielding a macro lens! I couldn't resist one more photo of the German forests...



A delicate rose growing behind one of the large cathedrals in Heidelberg...



And something not quite so cultivated but no less beautiful, spotted while out walking. Is it an elderflower?


------


I was so sad to see when we returned home, though, that the people living in the house behind ours had cut down a large and beautiful hawthorn tree in our absence. It was often covered in lovely red berries and attracted a wide assortment of birds, most particularly white cockatoos. Unless a tree is about to smash through your roof, I can never understand why people chop trees down. It seems like the ungrateful return of a wonderful gift.

2 comments:

Pina said...

It is the elderflower, and at this time of a year their berries are turning black. I made some syrup from these berries last year but I don't like its taste. The one made of blossoms tastes much much better.

Feronia said...

Thanks Pina. I bought some bottled elderflower cordial recently and it tastes lovely.